Main Content:

Social Enterprise and Knowledge Management - Perfect Bedfellows

Let me share a vision with you, if I may…
Imagine you are a Product Manager for a relatively large enterprise. It’s 8:00 Monday morning and you’re just getting into work. You start the coffee pot and log into the intranet to get your week started.

First thing you notice that you have a few direct messages waiting for you. John sent an inappropriate joke – but you have to admit it’s a pretty funny one this time. The rest can wait until after your coffee and your Monday morning Billie Holiday.
You glance at the dashboard window for the set of services you manage and see four incidents were opened against them this weekend. One was a network change that took out an entire network segment for four hours on Saturday morning – there’s a post mortem call scheduled for 10:30 this morning. You click to add it to your schedule and a request that it get pushed up to 10:00 – everyone on the invitation is notified about the request. Another of the incidents was related to a server that went down with a memory error. You click on the server and see, at a glance, that there have been seven incident records for this server in the past month and sixty-eight alerts generated – forty-five of them for memory errors. This outage had an estimated financial impact of $13,500. All seven incidents have a combined estimated impact of $62,000. You quickly attach a note to this server object asking the SA to take it out of rotation indefinitely, pending a full system analysis. You also tag the vendor in this note, to raise awareness of the recurring issue. You attach another note and tag Event Management asking why so few incident records have been opened for this. You open a forum dialog with the Event Management, Automation, Incident Management and Problem Management teams to discuss the option of automatically removing a server from rotation after a specific dollar impact in a single quarter or a specific overall outage time threshold. You add a new search agent to watch for updates about the virtualization initiative. The third incident involved a power outage at your contingency site and you see there is a weather alert for the next three days. You tag Site Maintenance in this incident and ask for an update and projection for the condition and readiness of the site. The fourth incident was an outage to a service that feeds data to this service. You glance at the incident timeline and see that the job stream was not put on hold and Automation is still investigating why. You also see that the same thing happened six of the last ten times that this other service had an outage. You make sure to highlight that fact for anyone following this incident and mark this aspect of the investigation as high priority. You tag your whole team in this note so they get updates automatically.
Your dashboard also shows current vs standard vs ideal throughput rates, execution rates, error rates and several other real-time and recent history service metrics your staff designed in conjunction with the Knowledge Management team.
Next you glance at your search agents. You have one built for each of your services, watching for any user complaints, compliments or comments you may need to follow-up on. You also have an agent watching for any employees with extensive process engineering experience who is coming off a project soon and may be open for another one. You have an opening for a six-month assignment coming up soon. Another agent searches for unanswered questions people have asked about data visualization engines – that’s one of your areas of expertise (even though you are actually more on the business management side these days, you still keep up with the field because you have a real passion for it) and you answer any questions you can. That agent sits alongside the agent you have searching for data visualization topics in the public Twitter stream.
A reminder pops up that you wanted to try and set a meeting up with Cynthia in the Marketing department. You click on her name in the reminder and see that she’s in Nevada at a trade show all week and won’t be back until next Tuesday. You send her a message requesting that you guys meet Thursday of next week. She gets a notification via text message to her cell phone.
You glance at the data streams for the people you have been following. That new kid in the Knowledge Management department wrote a Blog post explaining different financial analysis methods that are used in the Incident Management platform. It has a ninety-five overall feedback rating from the 132 employees who have rated it, so you mark it to be read later and set a reminder for after lunch. You also see that Frank from Problem Management has finally finished rebuilding that 1946 Indian Chief and took it for its virgin run this weekend. You give him a “thumbs-up”.
You overheard someone talking about the new data warehouse project and you want someone from your team to be involved in it, so you do a quick search for “data warehouse”. By drilling down and narrowing the results you see that Jill has received budget approval and has just started on the planning phase of the project. She has posted open calls for several project assignments. You follow the project yourself and attach a note, in which you tag two of your employees – “Keep a close eye on this. See if we can get a body in there for the visualization strategy. If not, at least stay on top of the strategy meeting minutes and keep me posted on new developments.”
You glance through the new project pool employees. One of them has written quite a bit about data visualization topics on his personal Blog. You decide to follow him. Another has extensive process engineering experience. You see she is a Certified Process Design Engineer and has several ITIL Intermediate certifications. You send her a quick note to see if she is free for a video-conference this afternoon to discuss your upcoming project.

Your coffee is brewed.
Billie Holiday is singing ‘Strange Fruit’.
You settle in for twenty minutes of catching up on the news stream.
It’s now 8:45 and you’re ready to start your day.

Social Enterprise & Knowledge Management go together like Billie Holiday and Monday mornings.

November 15, 2010, 06:45:18 pm

About The Author

Comments

MattBeran

Love it.  Sign me up.  I know I could get to this with a team of developers, and the ability to cut through red-tape like butter, but it seems like such a long shot.

I want the ability to throw something like this together without a development team.  Where I can look at active directory and drag-n-drop these items into the dashboard or news stream and it does all this for me.

Who wants a tool they constantly have to dev and customize, let's make smarter tools that either do it all for us, or make it so dead simple anyone can do it.

This way, when a new CIO comes into town, he can start building his from scratch too.

Now, how do I get all my CI's on twitter?

Craig Wilkey

The only way I see to do it right is to build the social media as an abstraction layer on top of a well designed, comprehensive Knowledge Management structure foundation.

Add a Comment

Only registered members can post comments, please click here to register.

Pages: [1]