Main Content:

Where is the "Forum" in IT Service Management Forum?

I rarely visit the itSMF US chapter website (http://itsmfusa.org/) because, frankly, it offers me very little value for my time.
I’ve been wanting to Blog about this for some time now, but hadn’t gotten around to it yet. Listening to the itSMF podcast on the way to work this morning (Connect, Learn, Grow – FM) gave me the impetus I needed.
They discussed on the podcast how they have received some feedback from members that the site is disorganized and difficult to navigate, so they will be doing something about that. Granted, the user interface is not terribly intuitive and is badly in need of redesign – and I do appreciate them listening to their user base and responding – but that’s not nearly enough.

I like that they have member-written white pages.
I like that they have links to LIG’s and SIG’s.
It’s nice that there is access to some vendor-sponsored white pages.

What I find starkly absent, however, in what is supposed to be the “Information Technology Service Management FORUM”, is the voice of the members.

Much of what is prevalent on the site appears, to me, as sales pitch.
Much of the rest is “About Us”.

I am an ITSM professional. What I’m looking for is interaction with others in my position. I’m looking for information regarding approaches to common challenges, industry best practice source, emergence of new perspectives, challenging points of view to push me and, as the itSMF name would imply, a place for open engagement and discussion.
Yes, that is exactly what the LIG’s offer, but why stop there? Why limit the scope of my industry influences to the people in my immediate geographic area, the few who were able to get a white paper published on the site and paying vendors?

In reference to people complaining about ITIL putting out “another version”, I recently posted…

If it were up to me, I’d never even put out hard copies, because the landscape is changing so rapidly, by the time the books come off the presses, they are ready for a refresh. Put it all on the web and keep it in flux, just as the industry is. ITIL could be, and I believe it was intended to be, the unaffiliated, non-profit, unbiased (therefore inherently honest) alternative to the likes of Forrester and Gartner. ITIL should be an open resource of information reflecting current good practices, leading best practices and emerging trends in Information Services Management.
ITIL is where Service Management leaders should turn to see what other Service Management leaders are doing, consider the advice, learn from them, weigh it against their own first-hand experiences and adjust the direction of their institutionalized ITSM practices.
(from: PLEASE Stop Comparing ITIL to ISO20000!)

This, I think, is the gauntlet itSMF USA needs to take up.

We, as a community, need a place to go where we can perform a simple search and be presented with quoted best practice source, recent industry white papers, references to books, references to websites and, most importantly, a place to have a voice and read feedback from other members of the community.
The itSMF website does not feel like a community at all – so why would I bother returning to the site?
The site would be immensely more valuable to me if it was designed to offer what the LIG meetings are intended to offer.

Build a discussion forum where people can start and participate in open conversation, engage in heated debate or simply ask a question.
A section of the forum could be dedicated to posting relevant links to websites.
A section could be for tool reviews.
A section for book reviews.
A section…
Allow the members to offer feedback to each of these posted threads with a simple to use interface that stores the feedback in a simple to quantify & rate data structure (a social object oriented stucture, if you will - thanks for the wonderful term, Chris Dancy).

Let's say I go to the site and search for “Enterprise Knowledge Management”.
My results page displays:

There are 6 open discussions that match my search. I can see how positively (or negatively) the members have rated each discussion. Many of the users have also tagged the discussion with meta-tags, so I can get an idea of the subject and contents of each discussion at a glance.

There are 3 tool reviews that match. Again, rated and meta-tagged by the other members.

The site only has 3 member-written white papers, but we have 6 vendor-written white papers (although 4 of them have been marked as unhelpful spam by 70% of the users).

8 member reviews were written about The CMDB Imperative.

There are several references to book & page numbers from ITIL Core – several of those references have spawned their own discussions.

There is a link to the KCS Wiki Page and a link to the KCS website – both have ongoing discussions attached to them.

I think you get the idea… The itSMF website should, in my view, be a vast knowledge base for the ever-evolving industry information and FORUM to openly engage in discussions about these things with other professionals in the field.
The itSMF website should both reflect the pulse of the industry, and help to steer the direction of the industry.

Until it does, I will be hard-pressed to find any real value in visiting the site.

November 08, 2010, 10:00:17 am

About The Author

Comments

Joshuagap

free top up for 3 $,€,£
free mobile recharge for all country

instruction (PDF file): http://tinyfileshost.com/download/223793/NlZjMwY/1

Donalsldrowl

BIG DICK))
Copy link

http://ddd.marketpill.com

http://findyourlovetonight.com/393/

Richardhofs

我反駁道袋鼠精,足協要會打架的,會罵人的樂威壯心得,你們去不行。國足要說他們奪了世界杯只有兩種情況一在意淫威而剛藥局,二就是只有一個隊參加比賽由于睡覺的人太多樂威壯10mg口含錠,校長不知道懲罰誰,只好帶著小兵離開這個班老師拿的工資少,還要受你們氣。歷史課上梁老師感嘆道。
大一點的孩子必要時可以用閃光燈拍金槍不倒,但也最好以反射補光或在閃燈前加柔光片兒童照片記錄著成長的經歷日本性素,應該是多維多向的。這里的“角度”有兩方面的含義迷昏藥,一是拍攝的視角,拍攝時至少應有三個角度,與兒童平視角度拍、站高些俯拍、蹲下甚至躺下來仰著拍,盡量多些拍攝垂直角度上的變化,還要變化拍攝的距離及鏡頭的焦距,除了全身或大半身像,也要有特寫和遠景,除了用中長焦鏡頭,也可用廣角鏡頭。就好象一部電影多些場景的變化,才更“生活”另一方面是兒童表情的角度也應豐富西力士效果,大多數家長拍攝的兒童照片一律是“笑”容催情王,未免單調和生硬,兒童的表情是豐富的,記錄他的成長,就要記錄他的喜怒哀樂樂威壯價錢,這才是人生。
廣州城竟下起大雪,滿城皆白,起義失敗。 區舒云眼看秦少白倒下持久藥物,一夜苦尋阿四。南門下,阿四大難不死被送到阿純所在的教會醫院。
孫卓熟悉阿精的助手工作,但典當物的歸放韓諾都親自處理。韓諾每回經過放置孫卓愛情的典當柜樂威壯價錢,便忍不住想起阿精。孫卓希望韓諾別再當她是孩子,要求韓諾能將心事與她分享秘魯MACA天然偉哥,韓諾寵愛地輕擁著孫卓。
美國女星穆恩 布勞德古德

Add a Comment

Only registered members can post comments, please click here to register.

Pages: [1]