Main Content:

The Ultimate Objective of Knowledge Management

Ask most IT Service Management professionals about the objective of Knowledge Management and they will respond with some variation on the theme of "Getting the right information to the right person in the right place at the right time".
I don't think that really covers it.

I wrote a blog post some time ago that expanded on that a bit. I proposed that the three primary focus areas of Knowledge Management are curating information, delivering information and optimizing business processes.
I still think that’s all basically correct but I don’t think it really gets to the root of the matter either.
All of this may be basically correct about Knowledge Management, but it all describes the means, methods and goals of Knowledge Management – not the ultimate objective.

Regardless whether you're talking about transactions between internal groups, or an organization and its customers, or strategic partnerships, or any other type of service exchange relationship, that's exactly what it is – a relationship between a service provider and a service consumer.
Service relationships have numerous "moments of truth" (interactions that have the potential to impact that relationship in a positive or negative way).
Consider the role Knowledge Management plays in ensuring the quality, ease and value of those moments of truth.
What we’re doing is ensuring the consumers of our services have the information they need to actually consume those services in the most optimized manner. That is our ultimate objective.

Let’s look at Incident Management (break fix) as a prime example…
What is the value impact of a comprehensive Knowledge Management practice on Incident Management?
First, the obvious: We deliver institutional support knowledge and customer business information to our Customer Service Professionals. Our goal there is to ensure the CSP can assume a role of Customer Advocate by having ready access to all of the most valuable, relevant information, with the least amount of effort. The intention is to deliver this service in a way that ensures the customer has the best experience they can have.

Of course, one of the core objectives of Knowledge Management is to empower our customers through availability of self-service, social and community channels. Customer Service needs to provide a rich set of capabilities to deliver services through our customers’ preferred channels. But how do we know what those preferred channels are and how do we know the best way to deliver through those channels?

The ideal we must strive for is delivering easily digestible information directly to the consumers, within the tools they use, before they even know to ask for it. With potentially billions of content assets, delivering ‘the right information to the right person in the right place at the right time’ requires rich contextual awareness capabilities. We need to understand who our consumers are, how they work, the business drivers of that work, what knowledge they need, what knowledge they don’t need… We need a rich profiling framework and intimate understanding of the user journeys all our consumers take.

Marketing has been practicing what’s often referred to as “Digital Experience Management”. Essentially, it’s the natural evolution of decades of “Consumer Profiling” applied to digital content delivery channels. The more they know about you, the better they can target ads that will appeal to you, the more money they make with the least amount of effort.
What they’re doing is ensuring the consumers of their services have the information they need to actually consume those services in the most optimized manner.

Knowledge Management IS Digital Experience Management – we’re just broadening the scope.

September 22, 2016, 12:24:29 pm

About The Author

Comments

Add a Comment

Only registered members can post comments, please click here to register.

Pages: [1]