Main Content:

New Resume Format? Feedback, Please.

Craig Wilkey
99 Palsa Avenue Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
emailcwilkey-jobs@yahoo.com <Phone Number>

Career Summary:

When I began working in Information Technology over thirteen years ago, I had no way of knowing my path would lead me to the position of Vice President of Incident Management for one of the largest financial institutions in the world. My past ten years with Citi have been truly formative years for my career. I have worked hard to transform myself from a Senior Systems Engineer into a highly skilled Information Service Management professional, performing a pivotal role in forging the direction of Citi’s global IT Service Management strategy.

I started with Citi in April 2001 as a Microsoft solutions integrator with a project to bring the processing of an acquired card services vendor in-house. My technical experience was fairly wide (in most of my previous jobs I was a part of a small technical team or the only technical person) and dated back to 1996. My consistently exemplary performance and clearly demonstrated leadership ability afforded me the opportunity to begin redefining my career path. I was offered a supervisory position in a project to build and run a Distributed Systems Event Monitoring department. I was a key architect of that initiative and was later asked to help build and run a Major Incident Response Team and define the Incident Management processes & policies. My team’s scope of responsibilities includes all Major Incidents in the Western Hemisphere, with a key focus on – and ownership of – those incidents assigned to a CTI (Citi Technology Infrastructure) manager.

In the first year, my team’s efforts were instrumental in reducing the Meantime To Restore Service for Major Incidents by more than 20% in North America and more than 26% in Latin America. In addition, our strong relationship with North America CTI Problem Management significantly impacted the 44% reduction in the number of Major Incidents in 2009 as compared to 2008.

My first introduction to the Information Technology Infrastructure Library was in August 2008, when I attend a v3 Foundation class. The concepts of ITIL very much intrigued and excited me. I recall describing it to the instructor as “addressing everything I had been complaining about in IT for the past 12 years.” I asked to participate in the T3 (Train The Trainer) program Citi was developing, so I could be involved in the implementation of ITSM throughout Citi and teach the Foundation course internally. Since that time I have acquired certifications for ‘Operational Support and Analysis,’ ‘Continual Service Improvement,’ ‘Service Offerings and Agreements,’ ‘Planning, Protection and Optimization,’ ‘Service Strategy’ and ultimately earned my ITIL Expert Certification.
As a member of several ITSM Steering Committees, I help forge Citi’s global Incident and Problem Management policies, procedures and processes, in addition to providing guidance for Citi’s overall global ITSM strategy. As a certified ITIL Expert and ITIL instructor, I participate in strategy setting for the internal ITIL education initiative as well as teach ITIL classes.

My ultimate goal is to follow my passion to a Director of Knowledge Management position in a forward-thinking, service oriented organization.

Service Management Philosophy:

Scope of Knowledge Management
Knowledge Management has a cyclical, synergistic relationship with the other ITSM processes and that relationship must have clear central leadership.

The maturity of Knowledge Management is constrained by the maturity of the rest of the processes – in that without having a comprehensive view of the processes that create the data, the capability to transform that data into reliable information will necessarily be limited.

At the same time, the maturity of the rest of the processes will be limited the maturity of Knowledge Management.

One of the greatest values of Knowledge Management is that Knowledge Management maturation (relative to the rest of your processes) will arm you with the tools to further the evolution of your other processes.

Maturity in Knowledge Management is the bedrock of ITSM, and as such, the integrity of your information matrix must be centrally managed at the strategic level.
(more on the scope of Knowledge Management...)

The Information Services Perspective
In many organizations the SKMS (or whatever pre-cursor they currently have implemented) is leveraged as a passive tool to generate process & service metrics. Whether it’s being used reactively (incident impacts, change analyses, etc) or proactively (demand metrics, problem trending, etc.) if the purpose of your Knowledge Management Process is limited to fueling CSI activities, you are limiting your organization to a cost center – an Information Technology Service provider that is a prime candidate for outsourcing. At best, if you are using the SKMS effectively, you are reducing cost and managing your infrastructure more efficiently.

IT manages technology infrastructure – IS manages business information.

IT needs to start utilizing the Knowledge Management Process to augment strategic business decisions. Rather than simply looking at what we do and finding ways to do it more effectively and efficiently; we need to be able to compare the business direction to the state of the industry to offer new and innovative services where those paths intersect. To be viewed as a strategic business enabler, we need to forge new paths and influence those intersections. To be seen as an Information Services division, we need to start acting like one and actively manage business information and knowledge.
(more on the IT vs. IS perspective...)

Social Media in the Enterprise
How much talent, wisdom, innovation and brilliance is rotting away in the dark recesses of your organization – frustrated and impotent without a voice?
How many middle managers lack the vision and/or capability to empower those down-trodden voices?
How many of those voices have been stagnating or even entirely stamped out through years of neglect?
How many brilliant minds have you lost over the years to competitors, other fields or disgruntled apathy?
How much raw potential goes to waste?

Imagine for a moment, if you had a tool that could tap into the minds of all those employees with real value to offer the organization.
Imagine if you had a tool that could seek out bits and pieces of expertise on an extraordinarily wide spectrum of knowledge and experience and focus those bits and pieces onto a single challenge all at once.
Imagine you had the capability of being aware of all the esoteric knowledge sitting within the minds of the most passionate individuals in your organization and being able to apply it.

Imagine employing a technique that would allow the talent to float to the top of your organization and be recognized for their merit and capabilities – as opposed to empowering fools with a title who got where they are because of how well they play the game of greasy politics or through the Peter Principle.
(more on Social Media in the Workplace…)

More of my philosophy and approach to IT Service Management are available to view on my ITSM/ITIL Blog at: http://craig.pennylabor.com/index.php?board=1.0

Work Experience:

Citigroup
Vice President – Incident Management

April 2001 - Present
Weehawken, New Jersey

CareerEngine Inc
Senior Systems Engineer

August 2000 - April 2001
New York City, New York

North Carolina Department of Insurance
Senior Systems Administrator

September 1998 - August 2000
Raleigh, North Carolina

Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
Network Administrator & Systems Integrator

January 1998 - May 1998
New York City, New York

Credit Agricole
Help Desk Levels I and II

May 1997 - January 1998
New York City, New York

ENTEX Information Services
Computer Inventory Technician

February 1997 - May 1997
Simon & Schuster sites throughout New York and New Jersey

February 27, 2011, 03:43:13 pm

About The Author

Comments

Craig Wilkey

I have been wanting to reformat my resume for a while now, and have been unable to decide upon a format. I suppose this one is a bit of a cross between a functional resume and a CV.

While by transition into ITSM is not quite a career change, what I have done in the past several years with Citi powerfully overshadows the technicall jobs I had earlier in my career. As such, something based on a functional resume format seemed appropriate.

I'd appreciate some feedback the approach - as it is somewhat unconventional (which seems fitting, as I am somewhat unconventional). If you were hiring for an open senior ITSM position, and this landed on your desk (somewhat cleaner looking in MS Word) what would your reaction be?

Add a Comment

Only registered members can post comments, please click here to register.

Pages: [1]